2022 Victoria Writers’ Society Writing Contest
Fiction, Creative Non-fiction, Poetry
Open to residents from Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands
Deadline: 15 May 2022
Prizes for each category: 1st $300.00
Entry Fee: $20 VWS Members/$25 Non-Members
FICTION – Jennifer Manuel
Jennifer Manuel won the 2017 Ethel Wilson Prize for her novel, The Heaviness of Things That Float, which has since been optioned for film. She has been a finalist in short fiction for the Western Magazine Awards and a finalist in children’s fiction for the Red Cedar Awards.
CREATIVE NON-FICTION – Stephanie Harrington
Stephanie Harrington earned an MFA in Creative Writing from the University of Victoria. In 2018 she was selected for the RBC Taylor Prize Emerging Writers Mentorship Program. Her creative non-fiction piece Fighter appears in The Malahat Review’s spring 2020 issue #210.
POETRY – Daniel G. Scott
Daniel G. Scott was Artistic Director of the Planet Earth Poetry Reading Series for 6 years. His recent publications include Aftertime (2019), Voicing Suicide (Ekstasis Editions, 2020) an anthology of suicide poems he edited, and klee-shays undone, Volume One (Nose in Book Publishing, 2020).
- Send your submissions as an attachment in an email to email@example.com
- We ONLY accept electronic submissions as an email attachment.
- This attachment MUST NOT contain your name or any other identifying features as all judging is blind, but should have title of piece on each page.
- In the subject line of the email, write the genre you are entering. Only one previously unpublished piece per genre (Fiction, Creative Non-fiction or Poetry) is permitted.
You must include in the body of your submission email:
- The title and genre of your piece.
- Word count.
- Your name, phone number and email address.
- A short bio of yourself (max. 50 words).
- Please indicate your payment method (e-transfer or cheque).
- Please indicate whether or not you are a VWS member.
- The contest is open to residents of Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands.
- Work previously published or currently under consideration for publication elsewhere is not eligible to enter this competition. Winning pieces will be published by the Victoria Writers’ Society.
- Only one previously unpublished piece per genre (Fiction, Creative Non-fiction or Poetry) is permitted.
- $20.00 per entry for VWS members per submission
- $25.00 per entry for non-members per submission
- Entry fee may be paid by E-transfer or mailed cheque.
- E-transfer to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cheque to: Victoria Writers Society, P.O. Box 8311, Victoria BC V8W 3R9
- Entries should be in Times-New Roman 12 Pt, and double-spaced for stories.
- Poetry to be single spaced.
- Title of work should appear at top of each page.
- Must be shown at top left-hand corner of first page of each submission.
- 2,500 words maximum for fiction and creative non-fiction.
- 100 lines for poetry.
- Winners only will be notified by 15 August and will be invited to read their winning works at the September VWS General meeting.
- The winning works will be published by the Victoria Writers’ Society.
- Authors retain copyright after publication.