VWS Writing Contest
2021 Victoria Writers’ Society Writing Contest
Fiction, Creative Non-fiction, Poetry
Open to residents from Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands
Extended Deadline: 01 June 2021
Prizes for each category: 1st $300.00
Two Honourable Mentions per Genre
Entry Fee: $20 VWS Members/$25 Non-Members
Judges: Tricia Dower – Fiction, Yvonne Blomer – CNF, Barbara Pelman – Poetry
- Send your submissions as an attachment in an email to email@example.com
- We ONLY accept electronic submissions as an email attachment.
- This attachment MUST NOT contain your name or any other identifying features as all judging is blind, but should have title of piece on each page.
- In the subject line of the email, write the genre you are entering. Only one previously unpublished piece per genre (Fiction, Creative Non-fiction or Poetry) is permitted.
You must include in the body of your submission email:
- The title and genre of your piece.
- Word count.
- Your name, phone number and email address.
- A short bio of yourself (max. 50 words).
- Please indicate your payment method (e-transfer or cheque).
- The contest is open to residents of Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands.
- Work previously published or currently under consideration for publication elsewhere is not eligible to enter this competition.
- Only one previously unpublished piece per genre (Fiction, Creative Non-fiction or Poetry) is permitted.
- $20.00 per entry for VWS members per submission
- $25.00 per entry for non-members per submission
- Entry fee may be paid by E-transfer or mailed cheque.
- E-transfer to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cheque to: Victoria Writers Society, P.O. Box 8311, Victoria BC V8W 3R9
- Entries should be in Times-New Roman 12 Pt, and double-spaced for stories.
- Poetry to be single spaced.
- Title of work should appear at top of each page.
- Must be shown at top left-hand corner of first page of each submission.
- 2,500 words maximum for fiction and creative non-fiction.
- 100 lines for poetry.
- Winners only will be notified by 15 August and will be invited to read their winning works at the September VWS General meeting.
- The winning works will be published in the December edition of Island Writer Magazine.
- Authors retain copyright after publication.
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?
Contact the contest co-ordinator at: email@example.com