19th Annual Writing Contest!
Send in your best
fiction, creative non-fiction, or poetry
to the 2020 VWS Annual Writing Contest.
Prizes for each category: 1st $300.00
Two Honourable Mentions per Genre
- Entries are to be postmarked not later than May 01, 2020, but may also be hand-delivered to the May VWS general meeting at the Central Library, Victoria.
- Submit typed hard copy only. We do not accept electronic submissions.
- Entries will not be returned.
- Mail to:
Victoria Writers’ Society,
Annual Writing Contest,
P.O. Box 8311, Victoria, B.C.
- Your name should NOT appear on the manuscript.
- Complete all sections of one entry form for EACH PIECE you are submitting.
- Include your email address. It is important that your email address be legible.
- Writers may submit only one entry per category (fiction, creative non-fiction, or poetry) but may submit in any or all categories.
- Submissions must be previously UNPUBLISHED.
- $20.00 per entry for VWS members
- $25.00 per entry for non-members
- Cheques or money orders payable to Victoria Writers’ Society for entry fees to accompany entries. Paypal may also be used (link on www.victoriawriters.ca/writing-contest/
- An entry fee must be paid for each submission.
- Entries should be on letter-size paper (8 1⁄2” x 11”), in Times-Roman 12 Pt, and double-spaced for stories.
- Poetry to be single spaced.
- Title of work should appear at top of each page.
- Must be shown at top left-hand corner of first page of each submission.
- 2,500 words maximum for fiction and creative non-fiction.
- 100 lines for poetry.
- The contest is open to residents of Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands.
- Work previously published or currently under consideration for publication elsewhere is not eligible to enter this competition.
- Winners will be notified by 15 August and will be invited to read their winning works at the September VWS General meeting.
- The winning works will be published in the December edition of Island Writer Magazine.
- Authors retain copyright after publication.