19th Annual Writing Contest!
Contest Rules: **Changes made March 30, 2020**
Send in your best
fiction, creative non-fiction, or poetry
to the 2020 VWS Annual Writing Contest.
Prizes for each category: 1st $300.00
Two Honourable Mentions per Genre
- Entries are to be postmarked not later than June 01, 2020.**
- Electronic submissions only to firstname.lastname@example.org ** If you have already sent a hard copy by mail you will contacted and asked to resend by email.
- Entries will not be returned.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SENDING AN ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION BY email
In the subject line, write the genre you are entering.
Include your poem, creative non-fiction, fiction piece as an ATTACHMENT . This attachment must include the title of your piece and the word count (see below for these directions, nothing has changed in this regard). This attachment MUST NOT contain your name or any other identifying features as all judging is blind.
In the body of your email, please send the following:
- The title and genre of your piece;
- Your name, phone number and email address – a short (max. 50 words) bio
Please indicate in writing whether you are paying by etransfer to: email@example.com
or by cheque to: Victoria Writers Society, P.O. Box 8311, Victoria BC V8W 3R9
It is important you indicate your payment method as we want to accurately keep track of your entry fee. Thanks!
Please make sure you send your entry fee, clearly marked as contest entry (with the genre) either by etransfer firstname.lastname@example.org or by cheque (see mailing address above).
A separate email is required for each submission
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?
Contact the contest co-ordinator at: email@example.com
Now. . . happy writing and get those entries to us!
- $20.00 per entry for VWS members
- $25.00 per entry for non-members
- An entry fee must be paid for each submission.
- Entries should be on letter-size paper (8 1⁄2” x 11”), in Times-New Roman 12 Pt, and double-spaced for stories.
- Poetry to be single spaced.
- Title of work should appear at top of each page.
- Must be shown at top left-hand corner of first page of each submission.
- 2,500 words maximum for fiction and creative non-fiction.
- 100 lines for poetry.
- The contest is open to residents of Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands.
- Work previously published or currently under consideration for publication elsewhere is not eligible to enter this competition.
- Winners will be notified by 15 August and will be invited to read their winning works at the September VWS General meeting.
- The winning works will be published in the December edition of Island Writer Magazine.
- Authors retain copyright after publication.